Born in Karachi, Pakistan on 27th Dec 1962, Moiz Amjad matriculated in 1978 from St. Mary’s High School, Lahore. In 1986, he completed his MBA (Masters in Business Administration) from the University of the Punjab, Lahore securing top position in the University and was, subsequently, awarded a scholarship for pursuing a Ph.D in a field of his choice. However, in 1988, preferring to study the Islamic disciplines in the traditional method of personal tutelage which is still in vogue in the sub-continent he was accepted as a pupil by a renowned scholar of Islamic law and philosophy, in Pakistan, Javed Ahmad Ghamidi – a pupil of one of the most respected Islamic scholars in the Sub-Continent and a commentator of the Qur’an – Amin Ahsen Islahi. Under the guidance of Ghamidi, Moiz Amjad studied the Arabic language, the Qur’an and other Islamic disciplines and in January 2000 was appointed Research Associate to his mentor.
Moiz Amjad has remained president of Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Research and Education (1996-7), Director Danish Sara a Center for Islamic Propagation (1997-8) and Editor of Ishraq a monthly (Urdu) Islamic journal in (1997-9). As one of the founders of Mus ‘ab Public School, he was actively involved in preparing the curriculum of the school. He has served as a visiting Faculty Member at various renowned institutes and colleges in Pakistan.
As a guest speaker, he has lectured at various forums like the Civil Services Academy of Pakistan, Lahore; the National Institute of Public Administration (NIPA), Lahore; the Administrative Staff College, Lahore; the Da ‘wah Academy of the International Islamic University, Islamabad; Pakistan Islamic Medical Association, at the Liaqat National Hospital Auditorium, Karachi; the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), Lahore; Management and Professional Development Department, Government of Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan.
Mr. Amjad has a variety of articles published in renowned Newspapers and journals to his credit in the Urdu language as well. Of particular mention are his critiques on some aspects of contemporary religious thought and his work on some issues of Fiqh (Islamic Law). At present, he is preparing to write an introductory book on Islam in the English language.
As the Editor of the website understanding-islam.com since its inception in 1997, he has extensively written on various aspects of Islamic law and responded to criticisms on the Qur’an posed by various non-Muslims. The site is also rich in answers given by him to burning questions about Islam received from all over the globe.
Name: Moiz Amjad
Date of Birth: 27th December, 1962
Marital Status: Married
- Under the tutelage of Javed Ahmad Ghamidi for studying Islam, Islamic disciplines and the appreciation of Arabic Literature, 1988 onwards
- Masters in Business Administration: 1984 – 1986, University of the Punjab Lahore. Securing top position in the University. Awarded the Quaid-e-Azam Merit Scholarship — for securing the top position in all the departments of the Unversity — for taking up the Doctorate program in the field of choice, any where in the world. The scholarship was not utilised for personal reasons.
- Bachelors in Commerce: 1982 – 1984, Hailey College of Commerce, University of the Punjab. Among the first five positions in the University.
- Intermediate: 1978 – 1980, Government College Lahore. Securing top position in the Lahore Board, in the General Science group. Awarded the Quaid-e-Azam Gold Medal and the National Talent’s Scholarship.
- Matriculation: 1978, St. Mary’s High School, Gulberg Lahore. Securing the third position in the School.
- Research Associate to Javed Ahmed Ghamidi from January 2000.
- Editor Monthly “Ishraq” (Urdu) Since January 1997 – December 1999.
- Editor of Web Site “Understanding Islam” since the inception of the site in October, 1997 to date.
- Director “Danish Sera” — a centre for the propagation of Islam. since the inception of “Danish Sera” in March 1997 till December 1998.
- Member Board of Directors, Mus`ab Public School, a project of Mus`ab Welfare Society.
- President “Al-Mawrid” — Institute of Islamic Sciences — from August 1996 to June 1997.
- Vice President — Research at “Al-Mawrid” from March 1995 to August 1996.
- Director Research at “Al-Mawrid” from September 1993 to March 1995.
- Research Assistant to Javed Ahmad Ghamidi in his work on Islamic Law and Philosophy from August 1989 to September 1993.
- Regular contributor in the monthly “Ishraq” (Urdu) since January, 1992.
- Served/Serving as Visiting Faculty Member at:
- The Punjab College of Commerce.
- Institute of Business Administration, University of the Punjab
- The International University from July 1988 to December 1988
- Guest Speaker at the following institutions:
- National Institute of Public Administration, Lahore, Pakistan
- The Administrative Staff College, Lahore, Pakistan
- The Civil Services Academy, Walton, Lahore from 1989 to 1992
- The Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), Lahore, Pakistan
- Management and Professional Development Department, Government of Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan
- Served at the “Youth Investment Promotion Society” — a subsidiary of “National Development Finance Corporation” as Assistant Manager, Projects (1987 – 1988).
- Served in “Chartac Business Services” as Assistant Manager, Projects (January – May 1987)
- Served as internee at “Citi Bank Inc.” (1986).
- Served as Internee at “American Express Bank” (1984)
Major Writing Projects
- Kitab al-talaq (Urdu), the explanation of the law of divorce of Islam.
- Teesri’ Talaq kay Ahka’m, an explanation of the directives following the third incidence of divorce, including issues like Halalah etc.
- Taubah(Urdu), the rules regarding penitence in the Qur’an and the sayings ascribed to the Prophet (pbuh)
- Rasu’l Allah per I’ma’n kay Taqazay, an explanation of the meaning and implications of the belief in the prophethood of Muhammad (pbuh).
- kitab al-taharat, the rules regarding purification of the body. The main article was divided into the following parts:
- Ba’b al-wudhu, rules regarding ablution
- Ba’b al-Ghusl, rules regarding the ritual bath
- Ba’b al-Miyah, rules regarding the waters to be used in ablution and the ritual bath
- Ba’b al-Haidh wal-nifa’s, rules regarding a woman’s menstrual periods and puerperal haemorrhages
- Ba’b al-Tayammum, rules regarding dry ablution (an allowance in the case of illness, while on a journey or in the absence of water
- Aurat ki’ Gawahi’, an exchange of views with Dr. Mehmood Ahmad Ghazi — Director Dawah Academy, International Islamic University Islamabad, on the issue of “Woman’s Witness” in Islam.
- Siyassi’ Satah per Mujawwazah Tabdeelian, an account of the changes recommended for the Islamization of the political system of Pakistan.
- Saza’on kay Niza’m main Mujawwazah Tabdeelian, an account of the changes proposed for the Islamization of the penal laws of Pakistan.
- Ta`li’mi’ Nizam main Mujawwazah Tabdeelian, an account of changes recommended for making the Education system of Pakistan more effective and coherrent with Islamic values
- Iqamat e Deen, an explanation of the Qur’anic term “Iqamat e deen” and a critique of the explanation of this term by Maulana Maududi as accepted by the Jama`at e Islami — this explanation is one of the three pillars and the basis of the total philosophy of the Jama`at e Islami.
- Izha’r e Deen, an explanation of the Qur’anic term “Izha’r e deen” and a critique of the explanation of this term by Maulana Maududi as accepted by the Jama`at e Islami — this explanation is one of the three pillars and the basis of the total philosophy of the Jama`at e Islami.
- Iltiza’m e Jama`at kay ma`ni, an explanation of the term “Iltiza’m e Jama`at” and “Al-Jama`at” as used in a number of sayings ascribed to the Prophet (pbuh) and a critique of the explanation of this term by Maulana Maududi and other scholars of the Jama`at e Islami — this explanation is one of the three pillars and the basis of the total philosophy of the Jama`at e Islami.
- Rasu’loan kay ba’b main sunnat e Ilahi, an explanation of the Divine law regarding the messengers (rasu’l) of Allah.
- All major writings in the English language are posted on this site www.understanding-islam.com
ABDULLAH RAHIM, Ph.D.
Abdullah Rahim is an Associate Fellow at Al-Mawrid. He began his studies in Islam by attending an Islamic Seminary on a part time basis for six years from 1985 where he studied classical Arabic, Logic, Jurisprudence (Fiqh) and Principles of Jurisprudence (Usuli Fiqh). During this time Dr. Rahim also went through an intensive teaching programme on Islamic intrafaith discussions and participated in a number of live as well as internet based debates with some of the main Islamic schools of thought.
While continuing to study Islam on his own, from 2003 onwards Dr. Rahim has had the advantage of having Moiz Amjad, one of the main students of Javed Ahmad Ghamidi, as his tutor and mentor for studying Islam. At this time he also started contributing as one of the main authors in answering questions on Islam at the Understanding Islam website (www.understanding-islam.com).
Since 2008 he has continued his study and research on Islam under the guidance of Javed Ahmad Ghamidi. He is carrying out a number of research projects for Al-Mawrid, including an analytical review of one of the main works of Mr. Ghamidi on the contents of Islam, Mizan, with the view to identify and discuss potential criticisms and counter arguments on the views expressed in the book.
Dr. Rahim is the president of the Understanding Islam UK charity organisation (www.uiuk.org), an affiliate of Al-Mawrid, and is also serving as an academic advisor to the same organisation. He answers questions at the Al-Mawrid website and does online teaching at the Studying Islam website. His writings also appear in Monthly Renaissance journal, an organ of Al-Mawrid. Dr. Rahim runs and delivers Quran study lectures and workshops in the UK. His main interest areas are Interpretation of the Qur’an, Study of Hadith (Takhreej) and Islamic Intrafaith Studies.
Dr. Rahim is currently doing his Ph.D. on the subject of the Relationship between the Qur’an and Hadith in the UK. He also has a BSc and an MSc in Systems Engineering and a PhD in Organisational Analysis from Britain.
AMEER ABDUL BASIT
- Editor – Understanding Islam (Urdu) Date of Birth 9th November 1974 Nationality Pakistani
- MA Islamic Studies, Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences, Lahore.
- One Year Diploma in Arabic Language, Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences, Lahore.
- MBA Finance, The Pak-American Institute of Management Sciences, Lahore.
- BS Computer Sciences, The Pak-American Institute of Management Sciences, Lahore.
- 2004 – Lecturer at – GIFT University, Gujranwala
- 2003 – Appointed as Editor Understanding Islam – Urdu Website
- 2002 – Appointed as Academic Assistant to Moiz Amjad
- 2000-3 – Adj. Assoc. Professor at University of Management and Technology
- 1999-0 – Principle Software Engineer at Trisoft Private Ltd.
- 1998-9 – Officer Operations & MIS at Pacific Leasing Company Ltd.
Academics Assistant (English) to Moiz Amjad
Nationality: United States of America
- Islamic Studies, Al-Mawrid Institute of Islamic Sciences, Lahore
- Intensive Arabic Studies, Institute of Islamic and Arabic Sciences
- 2003 – Appointed as Academic Assistant to Moiz Amjad
- 2002 – Appointed as Administrative Staff Personnel at Studying Islam